So - I managed to step away from the sketch I seem to be obsessed with long enough to do yesterday's Inspiration Challenge on Splitcoast. Sarah Collier is a fabulous artist that mixes vintage pics, text, and other images into very unique creations. I was inspired by her entire Flickr gallery, as opposed to one particular work, to make this:
It's a collage of various images that hold meaning for me personally. Here's the scoop:
- Led Zeppelin was the first concert I went to, and the old man on the cliff and the runes are from the cover of my favorite Led Zep album.
- The Beach Boys and the entire beach culture were highly influential in my childhood and youth, and I went with my sister and friend to their "Endless Summer" tour with the band Chicago at Anaheim Stadium.
- The snippet of map in the upper lefthand corner shows Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach - two of the places I frequented regularly.
- The girl's face is a charcoal rendering I did in high school, and it had a quote that went with it that I still find meaningful: "Within you there is a solitude and peace to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself."
- The other two girls are the cover of a pattern I made several articles of clothing with back then - I also wore my hair like that, only longer....
- The peace frog is just representative of the era.
I plan to mat and frame this some time in the near future - or possibly use it as a starting point for a "Book of Me" type of scrapbook. It was fun and nostalgic and introspective and all of that while I was putting it together...
Then - of course! - I had to go back to the obsession and crank out another card:
Stamps: Stampin'Up! Arachnophobia and Best Fiends; Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Black StazOn;Paper: Provo Craft dp, Close to My Heart Smokey Plum, Paperbilities black; Accessories: Cuttlebug w/bubble embossing folder, sewing machine, transparency, Souffle pens, Prisimacolor and Bic markers, 1 3/8" round punch
Same sketch - different papers, stamps, subject, etc.... The bat and dangling spider were stamped onto transparency with Black Stazon, colored on the back with Souffle pens, cut out, and adhered with clear glue dots behind the colored areas. The rest is self-explanatory...
Well, loverlies, I'm gonna sign off for now - I've been partying with the Fabric Mill girls all afternoon and poor Greg was home all alone... I need to go spend some time with him now, I'm thinkin'! I'll take some pics of the fun stuff the girls gave me when we have daylight tomorrow, and share with you then. Have a great evening, and thanks for stopping by!