(This is my second post today (I know!) - scroll down for the first one. It's a tutorial for pom pom bunnies. There's a baby sock bunny tutorial on yesterday's post, too - I'm on a roll, I s'pose...)
I haven't made any more "catch-up" cards for the Jingle Belles challenges I've missed, but I did manage to make one for this week's challenge to incorporate "The Holly and the Ivy":
Curious where the "serendipity" comes in? Well, Greg and I moved back to Syracuse four years ago, and have had several boxes and bins stored in a warehouse that his boss owned for most of that time. The building was recently sold, and everything had to be moved. Last weekend, Greg brought our last few bins home and I went through a couple of them. Know what I found? Several different patterns of Christmas-printed tissue paper, and the one I was the most stoked about was a beautiful, vibrant holly print - perfect!
Obviously, that description doesn't match the card above. Two of the other tissue patterns were used for this one. The one I originally thought I was going to do is still a work in progress - I'll post it when it's done. The card above uses a twist on the "faux silk" technique, and I'm going to share that twist with you, because it's SO much easier and cleaner than the original technique!
First, find the tissue paper you want to use. It may look like this:
Heat up your iron to a "warm" setting, such as acrylic or rayon, and press it smooth(er). Make sure you do NOT use steam, and it's best to iron on the back of the paper, instead of the right side. You still want it to have some wrinkly-looking lines to help sell the "silk" look, but relatively smooth:
Cut a piece of freezer paper and place it, shiny side down, on top of the tissue. Press with your iron again.
Basically you are fusing the tissue to the freezer paper. In the original method, you would use glue stick to adhere them together. No glue - no mess! Trim your fused paper and use it however you'd like!
One other tricky bit: I didn't have any green cardstock that matched the holly in my panel, so I cut a piece that was close to the right shade to size, then altered it with a Bic marker. I tested a couple of the markers in the center, then just used the best one around the edges, about 1/2" in only, since the center won't show when the card is put together:
The other cardstock is from a stationery store in Utah. The ribbon is from my stash. I used gold metallic thread in my sewing machine to sew the faux silk panels to their cardstock mats. My machine apparently is not fond of metallic threads, as it skipped a stitch or two here and there, and broke a couple of times, but I'm choosing to think of these mishaps as "charming", and lending to the overall vintage, handmade look of the card (play along - I don't have the time or patience to re-make this...thanks...)
I'll post the other card if/when it gets finished, but I have to go back to work now. That's what happens when you play hooky to get crafty instead... Have a great night, and thanks for stopping by!